Traditionally, when you were faced with misaligned teeth, braces were the go-to solution. However, traditional braces are extremely noticeable, with their metal brackets and wires. This visibility can sometimes be as detrimental as your crooked teeth, impacting confidence, particularly for older teens and adults. There is also the common stigma that braces are for younger teens, which often deters adults from seeking treatment. For those who don’t want to go the traditional braces route, National Dental Douglaston offers Invisalign®.
Invisalign® is a type of clear aligner, designed to straighten crooked teeth. The aligner is made of clear, rigid plastic. The aligners are created from 3-dimensional images that we take of your mouth. Aligners are a unique treatment option for straightening your teeth. Unlike braces, Invisalign® aligners are removable. They should be worn between 20 and 22 hours every day, only being removed to eat or brush your teeth.
HOW INVISALIGN® WORKS
Invisalign® involves several sets of aligners. Each new set of aligners is slightly different from the set before it, and they all work together to move your teeth into proper alignment. Each set of aligners is meant to be worn for two weeks at a time before you move on to the next set. With each new set of aligners, your teeth are gradually shifted. This is accomplished by the rigid plastic putting pressure on your teeth. The teeth then put pressure on the periodontal ligament, which is the supporting structure that holds your teeth securely in place. This loosens the ligament enough for your teeth to become mobile. Your teeth are then held in place until it is time to move on to the next set of aligners.
Treatment time with Invisalign® varies based on your specific needs. Most patients achieve their desired results in less than a year. Some others need treatment for close to two years. Over the course of your treatment, you will go through anywhere from 18 to 30 different sets of aligners.
There are so many benefits associated with Invisalign®:
- The clear plastic makes the aligners practically invisible. When you smile, no one will be able to notice that you are wearing them. What they will notice, however, is your beautiful smile when your treatment is completed.
- With no one being able to see the aligners, your confidence is boosted.
- You are not limited to the foods you can eat. When you wear braces, you have to avoid certain foods, such as whole apples, corn on the cob, sticky candies and gum (just to name a few), because they can dislodge the brackets and bend wires. This is not an issue with Invisalign®, and you can enjoy all of your favorite foods.
- Better oral hygiene. You do not have to worry about brushing and flossing around brackets and between the wires.
- You do not have to deal with the discomfort of the wires and brackets.
- Less dental visits.
- You avoid the “metal-mouth” look that comes with traditional braces.
Invisalign® helps you to get the straight teeth you have always wanted while avoiding the typical “metal-mouth” that comes with traditional braces. For more information on Invisalign®, and to find out if it’s right for you, contact National Dental Douglaston today at (718) 557-9882!